Thursday, March 15, 2012

Sarah, Rebekah, Rachel and I

October 2007, Daniel and I had the privileged of attending the Saturday morning session of General Conference. There was one talk, that I still remember by Elder Spenser J. Condie.
He spoke about faith and the blessings of the Lord. He told a story about Sarah, Rebekah and Rachel that touched me so deeply, that I have never forgotten.

Sarah had prayed faithfully for a child. After 25 years, Sarah and Abraham were blessed with Isaac. Isaac grew up and married Rebekah, who too struggled with having children. 20 years later, and through their faith, they were blessed with Esau and Jacob. Jacob grew up to marry Leah and Rachel, the daughters of Laban. Leah bore 10 children, while Rachel's heart was broken, as she was barren and cried unto the Lord. “And God remembered Rachel” (Genesis 30:22). And she was blessed with the birth of Joseph and later the birth of Benjamin.

He finished his talk with:
'When heaven’s promises sometimes seem afar off, I pray that each of us will embrace these exceeding great and precious promises and never let go. And just as God remembered Rachel, God will remember you.'

I have thought about that last line a lot over the years. When Daniel and I first got married almost 7 years ago, we knew we wanted a family right away, and we wanted a big one. The more we struggled, the more my heart broke. This talk brought me comfort during those times, knowing that the Lord knew me. And just as He remembered Rachel, I prayed that He would one day remember me too.

And He has!!

12 comments:

Sarah said...

Belinda! I'm so happy for you. Our miracle was at 7 years too! It is a lucky year for us infertiles. Hope everything goes great for you and I know you will be the best mommy. The wait is so worth it.

Alyx and Derek said...

Oh my goodness, you guys!!! I was just thinking of you two this morning so I came to check your blog...SO GLAD I DID!! I'm so happy for you! Best of luck!

Alyssa&Chris said...

This is so exciting, we're very happy for you!!

Rick and Jenny Runyan said...

Yay! What wonderful news Belinda! I am so excited for you and what a testimony builder that the Lord truly does know and remember us!

Tabitha said...

YEAH!! so exciting! You are going to be a GREAT mom! When are you due?

Unknown said...

WHAT?!?!?! I"M SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! You don't know how happy this makes me! (not as happy as it makes you guys, I'm sure, but it's close!!) I want to know more! How far along are you? When are you due? Where will you have the baby? (you're leaving on externs in 2 months, right? ).

Amiee said...

Oh my gosh!! AWESOME!!! I am SO incredibly happy for you! Congratulations!!

Me said...

Horray! We are so excited for you guys. And I am really looking forward to having you live close to us for a few months.
-Katie-Beth

John and Rachel Erickson said...

Hey I was looking at Becky's updated blog and saw your name. I decided to check your blog out and I'm so glad I did!!!!!! WAHOO!!!!! Congrats! Heavenly Father was definitely looking out for you! Very, very, very exciting!

A little Birdie... said...

So happy for you two! You will make WONDERFUL parents!

Kabe 'n Dave said...

Oh this post just gives me the tingles! I'm so happy for you both! The Lord truly does answer prayers (even if it's on His own time). We're firm believers of that as well. :) We've been praying for you guys, so I'm excited to be able to change our prayers to blessing you and your sweet baby now. CONGRATULATIONS!

Laurel said...

SO HAPPY FOR YOU! Hooray, hooray! Thanks for sharing your news. I love your post. It's a great reminder for all of us that the Lord is mindful of us. Congratulations!