Sunday, October 18, 2009

Nurture the Rising Generation

I just got back for Visiting Teaching, and I really enjoyed the message this month. It's all about how the children of today are the chosen generation, and how to raise them in righteousness.

I'm not a parent or anything, but I'm sure that all parents worry about how their kids are going to turn out. I'm sure they think about whether they have taught them everything they need to know, or if they are going to stay strong in the gospel and make good decisions along the way. I know I think about that already.
President Hinckley gave some comforting words to that topic. He said:

"Take care of your little ones. Welcome them into your homes, and nurture and love them with all of your hearts. They may do, in the years that come, some things you would not want them to do, but be patient, be patient. You have not failed as long as you have tried."

I just think that that last line is such a comfort. I mean, everyone has been given agency, to choose their own path. But as a parent, as long as you did everything you could, you have not failed!!

1 comment:

Mary Boyd said...

You know what I love about this topic? Everything. No really, my visiting teachers were talking to me about how baptism is so special and how everyone needs to covert to the church, even eight year old children. I think baptism needs so much more praise and support. The best example to me are people from Hawaii and Polynesia. They have huge parties to celebrate baptism of children, people fly in from all over, they have a day long feast and celebration, and the child really understands how important this step is.