Since I never go to the mall before the stores open, I have never noticed this before. I noticed it for the first time when I went to the mall a few months ago after dropping Daniel off at school, not realizing that it wasn't even 8am yet. There were people walking around the mall as part of their morning exercise. I thought it was an interesting idea, but didn't think that much of it.Recently, we went to another mall a little further from where we live, also early in the morning. There where at least 3 times as many mall walkers at this mall. I couldn't believe it. They just walk around the edges of all the corridors, never cutting a corner. Some get really into it and are completely dressed the part, and never miss a beat. It ranges from moms pushing their strollers, to older couples who take it a little slower.
It completely amazed us. We just sat and watched them all for about 30 mins. I had never heard of mall walking before, but after seeing it at 2 different malls, I did a little research. Most malls, all over the nation, open early just so that people can do their mall walking exercises. Some malls have a Mall Walking Club that you can join, and there is also the Mall Walkers Association of America you can join too if you are really into it.
I just think it is the craziest thing I have ever seen, but I also see the benefits. You don't have to worry about outside weather conditions or your safety if you are exercising alone. It's a little bizarre to watch, but I could see myself doing it one day.




2 comments:
I used to work at a mall and I loved watching them. There was a bus from the retirement home that brought them early in the morning and they left when the stores started to open. My favorites are the serious walkers with the weights and vests on. They take power walking to a whole different level.
If we had a second car or a mall within walking distance, I would SO be a mall walker. :)
Post a Comment